Monday, February 27, 2012

And Then High Tide

Another exciting development we have discovered about our flat is that it leaks. Or rather it actually very mildly floods when it rains. It has been raining the last few days. We knew there was a small spot in the dining room where water came in onto the floor and we’ve been mopping it up. Then later it poured for a few hours and water was everywhere on the entire side of our flat. It seems to be coming up from the foundation, like we’re sitting in a puddle. Succeeding dinner a few nights ago after Daniel spent twenty minutes draining the water back outside I went to close the door and when I took a step back my foot slopped into a new giant puddle. We hadn’t seen it because the floors are grey and shiny so they always look slick. Plus, the lights in here give off something more akin to a constant strobe than actual light. This is when we investigated and noticed that it doesn’t just happen in one spot, it really does go from one end of the flat, to the other. Since we do not own many things here, many things cannot be harmed by this new unpleasant occurrence. Our landlord knows about the issue and is sending his dad over to reseal it when he gets back from holiday. Until then, we’re praying for sunshine.
While Daniel has spent a lot of time working at school, I have finished another of the books I recently purchased. One day this week I decided to take a break and walk to Gabba Market for fruit and vegetables. It genuinely felt chilly and I had to pull out a suitcase from under the bed to dig out my running jacket. It was only sprinkling so I decided to try my luck. Carrying the bags home I realised that I didn’t actually need to be wearing a jacket. The young girls who work at the market are very sweet. One of them asked me, while ringing up my groceries, if I was enjoying the cooler weather. She then mentioned winter and I said, “It’s a little early for winter, isn’t it?” She told me that is was, but sometimes in summer we get a few days break, with rain, and it is to remind us that winter will come eventually. If 70 degrees is winter here, I’m sure I’ll survive.
Friday evening I let Daniel know I was in need of humankind, however it was still raining and we didn’t feel much like walking through it. We could see through our kitchen windows that our upstairs neighbour was out on her porch burning a small fire. So we went up to the back and asked her if she would mind our company. She is a very pleasant woman and we found we have many things in common. Later I had to apologize to Daniel for monopolizing the conversation; she and I just seemed to connect.
Soon the States will participate in day light savings, one of my favourite times of year over there. Here, our neighbour informs us that the reason we do not participate is because Queenslanders do not want more hours in the day. Those that live and work out in the bush wake by the light and more hours means more time in the evening heat. She also told us that most Queenslanders feel that they are a separate country altogether. There are states here that do participate in day light savings. The more books I read, the more I understand that Queensland and Brisbane are where the “crazies” tend to gather and live. No wonder Daniel and I were drawn to this place. I can’t wait to explore more!
One of the most important pieces of information we learned from our neighbour was where there is an actual grocery store! We were very excited to visit and look for fake meat. We have recently been reminded how much we actual eat it. This weekend the sun came out for a bit and we took advantage by walking to the store. It’s called Coles, and though it is smaller than our normal grocery store in Oregon, it is indeed a grocery store. We very happily found the tiny section of fake meat and came home with chicken patties and ground beef. It was a wonderful dinner. Luck was on our side because not ten minutes after we got back home; the sky opened up and dumped rain with a fury.
Last night the rain stopped and we were able to walk downtown to the Hare Krishna chant evening. During the discussion I disagreed with what one young man was saying the point of life is. I know material possessions can bring one joy, and I do not associate joyous feelings with negativity. We all have ideas about why we’re here, and even though some people’s ideas make me nervous, I also have my own ideas, and thus I live on! This time I joined the others in the dancing circle, though I still danced less than Daniel. Another fantastic meal followed and our friend Avi showed up to visit with us for a bit. At length a different member came to share his gospel with us. I enjoyed his company and his information. It gave Daniel and me plenty to talk about on our walk home. We sort of have our own church and it is not of the members-only fashion.
Unfortunately we did not encounter any creatures in the park, although we did see a huge bat flying near a different park across the bridge. We also often marvel at the size of webs these spiders can make. I ventured that perhaps they’re trying to catch a bat. Daniel not only loved this idea, he then described how the spiders probably eat the bats. I disagreed with this young man last night as well.
It is already light outside at five in the morning so Daniel often gets out of bed between then and six. I have personal ideas about sleeping longer so I lay in bed, sometimes with a book until I find it is a reasonable hour to be awake. This morning since it is still sunny we chose to take a walk before it got too hot. Let me tell you that when the sun is on you at seven thirty in the morning, it’s still hot. We had a nice walk though and explored a part of our neighbourhood we hadn’t yet. Daniel had his coffee mug with him and we watched all the children walking to school. They wear uniforms here and we discussed the benefits of that practice. They also segregate the girls from the boys, each sex going to a different institute. We have less of a solid idea about this, as in it’s probably a good idea, though we’re not ready to become activists for it.
It’s a good day. I’ve been in communication with friends and family, the sun is shining, and Daniel will be home from school soon. We received packages this morning from our parents and I’ve been waiting for his return so we can open them together. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment