The vacuum
is back upstairs and our floors are suffering for it. Earlier this week we took a long walk
downtown to pick up some supplies for the Expo I was to be involved with. Daniel helped me make a logo for my business
here and printed out everything I would need in order to be ready for the
event. We took the long way home,
walking next to the botanical gardens by the river. We had a lively talk about augmented reality
and how nice that might be for our future.
I would work out much more if all I had to do was put on a pair of glasses
so I could see and hear my sister, Janelle.
She’s my work out partner and it’s much more fun and easy when you’re
with a friend you trust. Daniel
mentioned putting the glasses on and going for bike rides with his dad. It will be a neat future.
Thursday
evening began as an unknown to me.
Arriving at the café, I met a few women involved in the evening and we
all agreed we had no idea what was about to happen. There was one young man there who works as a
personal trainer and he also had no information for me. At least we were all in the same boat. My table was next to a very nice Indian woman
who teaches vegetarian cooking and Ayurvedic massage. She gave me one of her candle holders because
she thought my table was too empty. It
was too empty and I appreciated her gesture, funny as it was.
Basically
the event was hosted by a local young chiropractor whose intention was to
gather other local holistic practitioners in the area to form a community for
healing. He had invited many of his
female clients to come with their friends to meet those of us using neat
modalities that assist in taking care of your body and mind. I was happy to be a part of it. I spoke with many women of all ages that
evening. I answered a lot of questions,
gave some demonstrations, and even made most of them laugh. At least a dozen connections have come from
it and I’m quite pleased to have a busier business. I’ll also be participating in some trades
which I love to do because it means friendships are upon me. The end of the evening was hilarious because
I had set an intention to manifest a ride home and as it happened, two of the
young ladies I was laughing with asked another woman to give me a lift
home. They knew I’d walked, thought I
was crazy for doing so, and were quite pleased with themselves for helping
me. I would describe the evening as
awesome.
Friday
evening was lovely as well. The weather
has threatened us all week that it’s going to rain with thunder, and each day it
has been sunny and beautiful. We’ve been
thankful to take advantage of it. Daniel
and I took a walk down to South Bank and listened to a live band, “Captain’s
Daughters” playing in front of the river.
Next time our plan is to go much earlier so we can share a huge bean bag
the city lays out for folks to relax on.
At one point two bags became available at the same time so we made our
way over. After two steps, they were
both already occupied by people moving much faster than us. So we
happily snuggled on a step listening to the music. Occasionally the City Cat Water Taxi whisked
by on the water causing small waves to hit the rocks and sand and we would
close our eyes are pretend we were at the ocean. We both love that sound.
Back at
home we made dinner and had a lively dance party that sometimes included karate
kicks and jumping ballet spins. Then I
practiced rapping for Daniel which impressed him to a degree that pleased
me. For some reason we
uncharacteristically stayed up past midnight and were shocked to see our clocks
read eight thirty the next morning.
Daniel had
a group meeting at school all day. Since
we got up late, we scrambled to get him ready and had a few minutes to sit with
each other before his friend came to pick him up. I had been invited to my new friend and
client’s son’s birthday party in one of the parks at South Bank and had a
leisurely morning getting ready. I went
a bit early to help her set up. It was a
long and busy afternoon filled with fifteen rambunctious ten year old boys,
games, a piñata, and eighteen pizzas - of which I could eat none because they
were all covered in meat. I got another
ride home -go me- and found Daniel in the backyard. We only had an hour before my friend was
coming back to take us with her to her church.
It’s called St. Mary’s Community in Exile and the priest, Peter Kennedy,
has been ex-communicated for not teaching and practicing standard Roman
Catholic dogma. I was intrigued by the
fact that almost one thousand of his parishioners continued to follow him
anyway.
The service
was quick, simple and included twenty minutes of silent meditation. I have not been in a group meditation for a
while and I was so happy to be in a room full of people being absolutely
quiet. It’s rare that silence is
celebrated between humans. My friend
introduced us to many of her friends and we also met Peter. He’s a friendly man with a great sense of
humour.
Here is
where I am going to tell you that apparently I have no accent. I have mentioned that in Australia, and in no
other place or time in my life have people remarked so much on the way I
speak. At the park yesterday one of the
moms asked me if I was French. My heart
sighed and I told the truth which is that I’m not French. She was surprised to learn that I’m
American. When Daniel was in hospital I
met a group of women at a meetup gathering and they could not figure out where
I was from. When I mentioned living in
Southern California one of the ladies crinkled her eyebrows at me. Later when I told them that my family was
from Ireland she said, “Oh! That
explains your accent; I was so surprised when you said you lived in America
because you don’t sound American. Now it
makes sense, you’re Irish.” In this
case, I did not protest her mistake. I
don’t mind where people think I was born.
So last night after speaking a few minutes with my friend, Daniel and
Peter he said to Daniel, “So you’re American.
That’s great.” And then looking
at me he asked, “And where are you from?”
I answered, “I’m American, too.”
His response was, “Oh, but you don’t have an accent. Daniel I can clearly hear his accent. You don’t have one, Joanna.” When they walked away from us I turned to
Daniel and said, “I’m not sure what that means.
Obviously I don’t have an Australian accent. Do I really have no accent at all? How is
that possible?” We both laughed and shrugged. I’m a woman of the world.
Walking
back to the car my friend asked if we’d like to have a bite for dinner. She took us to a Lebanese joint that we’ve
walked past many times on our way to the West End Farmer’s Market. Finally I had hummus here that was
fantastic. I even bought some to take
home and ate it this morning for breakfast.
Over dinner we had a wonderful talk and I was happy to see her and
Daniel get to know each other more. She
is originally from India and says she wants to cook us some curry; we will
happily oblige her.
This
morning it is beautiful again and we walked to the Boggo Markets for fruits and
veggies. Daniel has a lot of work to do
for another upcoming project and I am getting ready for my week. I feel more organized when I have more things
to do. Life is well in Oz.
Your week sounds fun and adventurous and I thank you for sharing!
ReplyDelete