It is
always interesting to move to a new place and start a life there. What happens to the life you were just
leading in another country? Does it
stop? No, it just changes. I feel very grateful for my family and
friends. There are two choices inside
feeling gratitude for the ones who are not physically with you: you can feel sad, or you can feel happy that
they are loving you, and that makes them present with you. I do a bit of both. Right now I’m swinging more toward the energy
that I’ve already created in my world living in the States; making friends,
laughing with women, going on adventures scary, new, and mundane.
Recently
I’ve had wonderful experiences with my friend, Carolyn. She spoke a homily at her church so Daniel
and I went to support her Saturday night.
That evening since Carolyn’s message was about community we happened to
connect with a lot of different people.
Finally Peter told her she did too good a job with her homily. He told us to get out! Haha, who doesn’t love a priest who kicks you
out of church? Well, I do. We had dinner with Carolyn, her cousin Sandra
who is also from India and Sandra’s husband, Thomas who is from Sweden. I did not recognize his accent at all, which
surprised me. I had a client in Eugene
from Sweden so I fancy that I know the accent.
Well, Tom moved to Canada when he was a small lad and grew up
there. Then he moved to Brisbane with is
wife, Sandra who he met in Toronto. (I’m
telling you – I almost never meet anyone who was born here.)
It was the
middle of the Greek festival so we ate at a Greek restaurant in West End and it
was marvellous. The food was all right,
the company was great. The five of us
talked for two hours and then decided to go to a coffee shop to finish our
conversation, where we spent another hour and a half. We didn’t get home until eleven. (That’s late for us, even on a Saturday
night!)
We talked a
lot on a multitude of subjects including the countries we’ve all lived in; the differences, the similarities
and funny stories about language misinterpretations. The best one was when Sandra moved to
California when she was college aged.
Her neighbours were hosting a block party and asked her to bring a
“dish”. This was a confusing request for
a young woman from India, but she obliged and brought a few dishes to the
gathering. This dishes she brought, were
of course, empty, clean, and in a nice stack.
She was astonished and embarrassed and we laughed at her linguistic
blunder.
Tom and
Sandie have since invited us to dinner at their house to meet their grown
children. I jokingly asked Sandra if
she’d like me to bring a “dish”. She
pushed my arm and I thought, “Thankfully humour exists everywhere. You just gotta know your audience.”
This week
was slightly unfortunate for me because I got a bit sick. I had to cancel a massage appointment and
reschedule three sessions! I do not like
being unable to do what I want to do. I
tend to push through things, even if it’s not what’s best for me. The one thing I give myself space for is my
business; I’m very specific about being in a clean and clear place for
clients. I don’t let myself suck at my
job. So I’ll see everyone next week and
all will be well. People are generous,
especially when you’re feeling slightly under the weather.
We’ve been
so lucky to have more than a month of solid sunshine. Welcome to winter, Durrant Duo! Why, thank you, Brisbane Australia! Of course, winter technically does not begin
until June first and then it did rain yesterday for fifteen minutes. After which I took a walk and got too warm
and wished I had worn my flip flops. We’ve
also spent some time in our bathing suits at streets beach so I think we’ll
survive the winter weather here. The
water was freezing there, or so we heard everyone saying, I was quite content
just lying warmly on my towel talking to Daniel. He’s been extremely busy preparing for finals
at university, and finally two weeks ago is when we took a couple hours break
to enjoy the sun.
A few days
ago I joined my friend April for an evening of kayaking on the Brisbane
River. We met at the Goodwill Bridge and
walked together into Kangaroo point since it was dark. It was slightly cold when the wind blew,
though I wasn’t wearing a jacket. Then
it was downright cold as we stood outside watching our guide teach us how to
use the little boat. He mentioned three
times that we might fall out of our craft which was my biggest fear. April and I kept exchanging forlorn glances
and whiney squeaks.
Finally we
lined up to descend the ladder fifteen feet to the river water where our kayaks
floated, wet and ready for us. I leaned
over to watch how people were getting in as this was “the most difficult part”
as described by our guides. As I was
watching a woman manoeuvre like a champ the guide asked April and I where we
were from. I answered him, “I’m from the
States.” And April replied, “I’m a
local.” He looked at me puzzled and
said, “The United States? You sound like
you’re from England!” I just shrugged and
said, “Oh. I’ve been there. . .” This confusion over my speech no longer
surprises me. Then he said to April, “I
love how you got really into your thick Aussie accent when you said ‘I’m a
local’!”
My friend
graciously let me go first at my request, and right before it was my turn to
enter the water she asked if I’d rather just stay on land, sit under the heater
and drink wine. It made me laugh and I
told her I was up for anything! This
will be the part of my story where I will brag: I did not fall out of my
boat! I got myself into the seat and paddled
around waiting for April to join me and tried to ignore that my bum was
completely soaking wet. I hollered up to
April to be prepared for it which made our guide apologize. It didn’t seem to be difficult to get myself
moving, though I did worry about my friend who seemed to be confused about
which way to put the paddle in the water.
All of a sudden everyone was in the water and they all took off. So, we followed suit, laughing at our meagre skills.. This is where I am not bragging: children,
grandmothers, everyone in the water passed us.
At one point I asked April how many metres behind everyone she thought
we were to which she answered, “At least 300.”
Once the
guide at the back of the group slowed down and gave April some rowing
pointers. I didn’t see her again until
the end. It was beautiful on the water
though, much less cold and all the lights on the huge buildings and bridges
were neat to look at. I also took time
to gaze at the stars that were out in bright fullness. Finally I could tell that our group had
stopped under one the bridges and I was pleased that they were either waiting
for me, or one of the gentlemen guides was giving information about the
area. About fifteen feet from them they
all took off again and I had no break to rest.
Damn them! At the point where we
all turned around I found myself at the front of the group. This is where I saw my friend and I shouted
to her, “April, look at me! I’m in
front! For the next two minutes.” In the end I was slightly glad to be behind
everybody because as everyone passed me they also ran into my boat several
times. Now I can say that I’ve done some
bumper kayaking. Finally the guide who
thought I was English told me how I could row differently. I told him that as soon as I began to get my stride someone would either hit me, or I would smash my own hand between the ore and the
side of my boat. After about thirty
seconds of him telling me that I was doing a good job, he thought it would be
funny to ram into my kayak. Damn
him! He thought it was hilarious, and I
went about trying to find my rhythm again.
Further
along the way back I caught up to two young ladies. I managed to pass one and stay in the middle,
vowing to at least keep one of them behind me.
After an hour or being more or less mediocre at something, it gets a
little tiresome. They were friends and
talking about the concert we could hear happening on the other side of the
river at one of Brisbane’s many colosseums.
I asked who was playing and one of them told me it was the Backstreet
Boys. I said, “It sounds like a girl.” And the same young lady answered me, “Well, they
always sort of sounded like girls.” Ah,
true. The closer we got, however, I
realised that I knew who the singer was and I was happy to report to them that
it was Florence and the Machine! So I
rowed along the river, singing and enjoying myself.
I was so
thankful to see the ladder upon our return, knowing it was over, and I did my best to line up to get
out! A teenaged girl cut in front of me
which was annoying because, one that is rude, and two April was already out and
I wanted to join her. When it was my
turn again, a City Cat drove by and caused huge waves to bounce me about. Damn it!
I was desperately holding onto the ladder, soaking my jacket, trying not
to tip over, and pathetically cursing. I
had already attached my ore to the kayak and had to just wait out the swift rise and fall of dirty river water. Slowly I made my way up the ladder; my feet
were freezing and therefore hard to feel.
As I reached the top, the young guide said to me, “Hey, you did pretty
good, for an American.” I simply thanked
him and quickly moved inside the building.
Upon entering I realised I still had on my life vest so I had to run
back out into the cold and return it.
We changed
our clothes for dinner, which is when I noticed that my shirts and jacket had
gotten so wet and I didn’t have anything else to wear. Outside there was a slew of barbequed meat
for dinner. Only six of us had kayak and
dinner tickets and luckily the people that stayed offered to make room for me
and April at the head of the table, directly under the outdoor heater. There was a green salad and a potato salad,
so I had enough to eat. Also, they
offered us wine and beer so I felt well taken care of.
The two
young girls who I’d paddled between were in our dinner party -they are currently
living here from New Zealand- and they sung along with me to Florence’s music. She was right across from where we ate so it
was like we got a free concert, too. The
other two people at the table were a young newly married couple, the man from
Scotland and the girl from England. Everyone
was in high spirits and we had a lively discussion about travel, food, and
politics.
And then
there was lamington. Lamington is a
sponge cake, dipped in chocolate and then rolled through coconut. Australia has an official day to celebrate
this dessert, July 21st, and Lamington was named one of Australia’s
favourite icons by the National Trust of Queensland in 2006. I’m happy to celebrate awesome cake with this
country.
I want some lamington!!!
ReplyDeleteOh, Janelle, Yes. You. Do!! :)
ReplyDeleteI really do think you should bring me a slice... Totally serious.
ReplyDeleteLet me see what I can work out. ;) I want it to be still soft when you get it. And I'm going to want a bite! Haha :)
ReplyDelete