Friday, May 24, 2013

Last Day in Taipei - Part One

You know all about our crazy breakfast habits at this point: we take the elevator to the buffet downstairs where we select strange foods, parents arrive, and then we visit excitedly about the day's coming attractions until our last bite of cocca pops is done.  Finally it was a warm sunny day so we set out in short sleeves for our first destination.  Freedom Square (also called Liberty Square) is a large plaza with an enormous front gate, flanked by a Concert Hall on one side, a Theatre on the other side, and at the end is the National Chiang Kai-Skek Memorial Hall.  Because of its size, it is a popular place in Taiwan.  Red carpet events and ceremonies are held there, as well as concerts, festivals, dances and the Taipei Lantern Festival.  Throughout this surrounding area of buildings are parks with ponds, and open spaces for people to practice T'ai Chi, and play games.  Even the local military and athletes are often seen here working on their routines.

Freedom Square entrance gate

Concert Hall in the background 

This is the National Theatre Hall 

My family at the gate 

Daniel and I in front of the Chiang Kai-Shek Memorial Hall

Dad and Francoise had already been inside the Memorial Hall, and there are a lot of steps leading up to the Chiang Kai-Shek statue inside, so they decided to take a walk through the gardens while Daniel and I explored alone.  Chiang Kai-Shek was the president of the Republic of China.  He ruled over China for twenty two years and Taiwan for thirty.  He was of the Nationalist party, socially conservative and in favour of traditional Chinese culture.  He led China into the second world war with Japan, and fought a nation wide civil war with the communists.  His government was defeated and forced to move to Taiwan in 1949.  There they continued to boast their intention to take back the mainland of China while Chiang imposed martial law, persecuting anyone who disagreed with his political views.  You wouldn't guess any of this while staring at his Buddha-like smile etched into the statue of him inside the Memorial Hall.  

 The ceiling of the Memorial Hall

 Mr. Shek

I love how the children are looking at the guard, rather than the huge statue

 Looking out over Freedom Square

 View from the top

Giant sun carved into the space between the staircases

The Theatre is on the right, the Concert Hall is on the left

Bright sun means happy faces

 Making our way back down the many steps

 View of the Hall from below

This lion might be Daniel's power animal

 I love this picture of our parents, patiently waiting for us to finish looking at 
everything and happily sitting while enjoying the smell of the garden flowers.

 Little Taiwanese squirrel with a short fluffy tail 

 The woman in pink in the far background is doing T'ai Chi.
I know not what the little girl is bending over to look at,
perhaps the squirrel.

 A small group of men were gathered here, one played an instrument,
another held up some music, and the third was singing.

After walking through the gardens together we all made our way back to the hotel.  We were on a mission to find a French bistro that Dad and Francoise frequented two years ago when they lived in Taipei.  It had since closed and Cloude told us at dinner Sunday night that it had just recently reopened and was near, "Bunny Listens to the Music".

Before we left Brisbane, I asked Daniel if there was something specific he wanted to see or experience again from his time in Taiwan as a child.  He immediately told me about a pastry that he used to eat called, You Bing.  (Pronounced like Yo-Bing)  We'd seen some Cong You Bing stands and never got one because they looked a little too greasy.  Since it was our last afternoon in Taipei, Daniel decided to go for it.  I'm so glad he did!  I'm pretty sure they are made out of flour, oil, water, oil, shallots (green onions), and fried in oil.  They are delicious!

His first bite of Cong You Bing in 25 years!

We found the Boite de Bijou and excitedly went in.  It was empty as we looked around and drooled over all the French pastries.  I was entirely too enamored with the food to notice that about fifteen people had crammed their way into this tiny bistro and taken all the seats while we were deciding what to eat.  After we ordered -to go- Daniel and I went outside to escape the commotion.  Since the shop was recently reopened there were offerings to the Gods out front for good luck.  

As we made our way back to the hotel to eat, we stopped in a small convenience store to pick up something to drink.  I chose papaya milk, as did Steve, and Daniel opted for a chocolate green tea milk.  This was a very exciting meal!

 The name translates to Jewelry Box

 Francoise and I carrying our goodies back to the hotel.
Notice the Vietnamese restaurant sign; this is where we ate dinner earlier in the week.

Hi, Milk!  I miss you!
The pastry is a banana chocolate almond concoction of awesome.
Daniel and I also shared a toasted cheese and garlic flat bread, and a tiny pistachio cake.

This was a big day, so I'm breaking it up into two blog posts.  The sun is out in Brisbane and I'm going to take advantage by walking to the grocery store.  (Daniel needs regular milk for his cereal and coffee, so boring!)  

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm. All of this looks strangely familiar. I wonder why. I'm sorry you had to put up with pushing and shoving. I experienced that in previous trips to Taiwan, but this last time, I thought everyone had finally figured out how to stand patiently in a line and wait their turn.

    I do believe, though, that you had much better restaurant experiences than I did this last time around. ;)

    ReplyDelete