Friday, February 4, 2011

Bloody Torches!

Two days ago we went exploring Exeter.  It’s seems so small however it is roughly –people wise- the same size as Eugene.  We had a list of things to purchase to make our lives here easier and it was interesting going out to find those things.  Interesting in that mostly here folks just walk around, not necessarily looking for specifics.  I’m a “go out and get it done” kinda girl so I’m having to readjust my inner time clock.  We bought –at the end of our outing- paper towels, Tupperware, salad dressing, honey, wine, corkscrew, matches to light our gas stove, fake chicken burgers, ——  I’m done writing that list.  What I really want to tell you is last night Jan took a tumble outside.  He tripped over a wall fumbling with his torch [flashlight].  He’s such a trickster when he came in with blood running down his face and growling at us I half thought it was a joke and I’d wondered where on earth he came up with fake blood.  It was real however, and a bit scary.  He laid on the floor while Daniel cleaned him up.  We went to hospital this morning just to make sure he didn’t need a stitch.  It was the GP building and when we came in the lady behind the counter greeted Jan by name.  They put only a bandage on his head.  His glasses also broke which I suspect caused all the cuts on his nose and he’ll have to get those replaced.  He’s a woodsmen though, tough and secure in his body’s natural healing abilities.  Later on this morning as I was cutting a green bell pepper and thinking, “This knife is so sharp. . “ I felt it cut into my finger.  Jan showed me where we keep the plasters [band aids] and I told him I was just jealous of all the attention his head was getting.  Now we’re tied! 


I needed the woodland today.  I was feeling sad and out of place.  Dreams can do that to me.  I’ve been dreaming so vividly since we’ve been in England and I care not to write them down.  Supposedly you’re to write your dreams down, look for the trends and have a better idea about what they mean.  All I need is a good long walk in the woods!  And that is what was accomplished.  Jan cares for around six acres and he let us play in them today. Daniel and I walked almost two hours in between trees, mud, and streams; all the while knowing which way to go back because we could hear Jan’s chainsaw.  He’s clearing out old trees to make room for the new ones, the ones that are healthy and need more sunlight.  A man called Andrew helps him out there.  Andrew is lovely; a soft soul which in my opinion means that he is quite strong.  After our long walk we ate an orange in the cabin Jan built, had some tea, and helped Jan and Andrew move logs and branches.  Finally!  Finally I was warm!  I even had to remove a layer of coats!  Thank God for manual labor.  I had to decide which layer to remove.  Laundry is limited here so my choice was did I want one layer with a little sweat, or did I want two layers covered in mud?  I took my top coat off while I removed my middle coat and hung it on a branch.  Put my muddy top coat back on and continued up the hill to bring down another large branch.  The work will be good and I can enjoy doing such twice a week.  Andrew said, “Many hands make light work.”  This is a saying I like.  I’m sure I was much smaller the last time I was this dirty.  Part of me loves it.  I pay attention to that part. 


In about fifteen minutes I will be taking my first bath.  That’s right; my last shower was on Monday.  I’m fecking roughing it, people.  It takes two hours for the water to warm up after you turn on the heater. 


Minor details:  It’s so dark in this mansion.  We have a torch that I was without when I came up to our room this evening so as I rounded the banister I smashed my knee into a table.  Phenomenal.  Daniel made breakfast burritos this morning, a big green salad and fake chicken this evening, I did the dishes and made our dessert: bread with peanut butter and honey. 

No comments:

Post a Comment