Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Oh, For Crying Out Loud

A laundry fail of epic proportions just put us in a nasty mood.  Finally our clothes were going to be clean.  Free from mud, animal excrement, food, and dirt!  Nope, some of it came out even dirtier than when it went in.  So we did some scrubbing at the sink and gave up on the rest.  At these times the only thing I can do is take long deep breaths and remember this is not permanent and clothes are just clothes.  That is, after we swear a little bit and admit we’ve just learned another lesson here on the farm.  For the future, if we should choose to use the washing machine again, approximately three garments of clothing can go in at a time.  So we must choose wisely.  I think I’m doing a good job right now not being a big baby and throwing a fit.  Haha! 


Today has been full of non wins.  Those darned cows!  This morning they were in their barn when we went to clean it.  Tuesdays and Fridays are the big cleaning days and Daniel comes to help me carry the straw bale while I carry a huge bag of hay.  They were in their barn two days ago as well and we just worked around them.  Yes, cleaning up their poop only for them to poop some more.  Jan told us when they are in there to just holler at them and smack them on the behind and they’ll go.  So because today is the day they get new straw beds we needed them out.  This took considerably more effort than Jan suggested it would.  We hollered and we hit their butts to no avail.  They looked at us like little flies to swat their tails at.  Have you ever tried to push a smelly half ton anything out of your way?  It’s mostly ridiculous and virtually impossible.  Daniel would scare them out of one side and I’d block them from coming in the other stall.  As soon as I’d turn around to pitch their food into the holder they’d bombard my space again!  Honestly, I do not know what I will do if they’re in there on the days Daniel is not with me.  One of the cow’s names is Splash and she is much better behaved than her surly sister.  She finally encouraged herself and the other one to the front doors of the barn where they blocked the opening and began pooping and peeing for us.  And they would move no further.  I even threatened them with the huge pitch fork.  Really, they are not the smartest animals on the farm.  After some sweating, grumbling and being smeared by a snotty nose from a huge jersey cow our work was finally finished.  We left and they went back in.  We’re going to have to get better at laying down the cow law.  

No comments:

Post a Comment