Pretty, still waters
He's satisfied
On our way back to the motel we stopped into a store called, "Crazy Clarks". They are all over Queensland, however there are none close to us and we wanted to go in one because they are cheap. Daniel and I have lived without a cheese grater for two months. In those eight weeks, at least once a week we lamented about this fact. Crazy Clarks provided us with a two dollar grater and we were happy to find it.
After our long, arduous hike at Pyramid Rock, we decided to take an easier route and visit a place in Girraween National Park called, "Doctor Robert's Waterhole & Underground Creek". Dr. Spencer Roberts was born in Stanthorpe and lobbied hard for the government to make Girraween a National Park. By the early 1930s he was successful. Now the park has more than doubled in size. Daniel and I definitely want to go back.
Daniel loved these flowers and we both agreed they look like corn cobs
At times we just stopped along the path to stare in appreciation
Underground Creek
Daniel took this photo while straddling the water on two huge boulders
I call this the Granite Tidal Wave
(don't be scared, Treva)
Daniel's hiding place
Over time, the rocks fell atop the creek
This is one of my favourite photos
Daniel showing the granite some love
Doctor Robert's Waterhole
Unbeknownst to us, we were in wine country. Within twenty kilometres of where we were staying, there were over forty wineries. After a morning of hiking and climbing rocks we decided to try out a vineyard called, "Wild Soul". The name jumped out to us. Unfortunately it was closed. In our plans, we had made time to visit a local cheese maker. We wanted to see the cows, watch them being milked, enjoy someone else making fresh cheese and tasting some for ourselves. It took us a bit to find this place and when we finally arrived, it too was closed. That was a major bummer for us. The Lavender Gardens was on the agenda as well. Guess what? It was closed.
There was a large winery we'd both seen beside the New England Highway that we'd been driving back and forth on and Daniel noticed an open sign so he pulled in. We had to taste something! I'm glad we stopped here because the young lady behind the counter was very sweet. Since it was only early afternoon, it was also very quiet inside and we had her full attention. While we sipped the local fermented grapes, I asked our wine expert where in Scotland she was from. She told me that she was surprised I knew where she was from. Apparently she is only asked where in Ireland she is from. Daniel and I simply shrugged and said, "You don't sound Irish." Then she told us all about her travelling experiences and apologized for giving us her "life story." I reassured her, "I asked." It's interesting for me to discover why people have come to Australia. And it's a question put to Daniel and myself often enough, as well.
Not very wild for a closed winery
Tasting success at Mason Wines
After purchasing a bottle of their shiraz blend, we went back to the motel so I could ask our owner what was up with his town. Daniel and I chose to stay in Stanthorpe two nights because we had planned a lot to do there. That list had dwindled to nothing, so I needed advice. As soon as the manager heard all the places we wanted to visit were closed he became very annoyed. To be honest, it was nice for me because I got to stop being annoyed. There didn't need to be two annoyed people in the same room. He is a member of the community entertainment committee and he asked me for the names of places so he could get to the bottom of their being closed in the middle of a weekday. I quickly changed the subject as I didn't want to get anyone in trouble and asked him instead for suggestions. He told me that Summit Winery had a neat aroma room and that the owners were friends of his. With no other alternatives, Daniel and I decided to stick our noses into wine glasses.
Summit Estate Wines
Oak barrel wines
This is their aroma room where we closed our eyes and made each other guess which ingredient we were smelling
It looks like I'm worshipping this wine bottle tree
(Maybe I am)
Daniel having a taste
We each only tried two wines here before leaving. There was another group of people at the bar who were obviously consuming the attention of the owners. And even though this wine was supposedly quite fancy, I liked our first experience better. Heading back once again to the motel we kept our eyes peeled for more cheese farms. We must have been somewhat obsessed because Daniel saw a sign and exclaimed, "That says cheese!" As we got closer I told him, "No, that says castle." Three minutes later I excitedly pointed, "There! That says cheese!" And a few seconds later Daniel answered, "No, that says cherries."
We decided to take a walk by the creek, instead of sitting in our motel room. It was really lovely outside and we watched people, ducks and other birds playing in the parks and waters.
Daniel's Bridge
He loves walking barefoot
I love knowing I won't be stepping in duck poop
Later that evening we planned to eat at an Italian Restaurant with great reviews that we'd seen. We walked through town to find the place closed! Shocking, I know. Around the back streets we discovered a take away pizza joint and went in to check it out. We ordered a small pizza and a large salad. While it was being made we walked to a grocery store and picked up two bananas and some mango yogurt drink for breakfast. I was hoping the yogurt would be like our Taiwanese mango milk. (It wasn't, but I have a great imagination!)






















Beautiful pictures! My kitchen is always open by the way....Anxious to hear about the next day to see if you found cheese.
ReplyDeleteIs it strange that out of everything you blog I always get so caught up in what you're eating and where I can get something similar?!? Haha!
ReplyDeleteCurrina, I am so glad you said this because quite often I think I mostly blog about food! FoodBlog! Come to my house, I will cook for you. Then we'll drink wine, have a dance party and cook together. We have so many plans! lovelove
Delete