Happy to be in nature
All of this rock is granite
The water was cloudy, yet clear enough that we could see to the bottom
Just a pretty stream
If I was a kangaroo, I'd live here, too
One massive rock
This was a perfect lounging spot for Daniel
There were about a million steps to climb
I loved how round this rock was
Burst of yellow coloured flowers
Perfect meditation spot
At this point, I thought we were at the top. The view was spectacular and no one else was around. It was so quiet and beautiful. We both just sat here for a long time enjoying life. Then Daniel pointed up the steep rocks and said, "Okay, let's get going." I was very confused, "Are we seriously going all the way up there? Is it even possible? It looks hard. And dangerous." Daniel said, "Yeah, we're going all the way up there! I knew it was going to be hard. I didn't tell you." I asked him, "Why? Was I already complaining at the bottom?" He answered, "No, I just read that it was the most difficult climb here and I just didn't tell you." (He's hilarious.) We kept going.
Daniel taking it all in
Where are the railings?
Notice the small white mark on the rock? Those are painted on to lead you up, and so that you don't get lost.
We both enjoyed these flowers
This is my scared face.
Twice I stopped and told Daniel that I didn't want to go on. It was really steep and I was honestly nervous. He would smile at me, point up and say, "I think it's just right over the top here, Babe." Of course I went higher over another ridge only to discover that it was not in fact, the top.
So steep you have to bear crawl in some spots.
Now, this is just getting silly.
The views did tend to be worth it
It was great to be in the sunshine
At the top of the bottom of the world!
We made it!
And then of course it was time to go back down
I took a little break in a hole, as I do from time to time
Daniel liked the angle of this photo
At least there was rock here to hold onto
Are your palms sweating yet, Ma?
Interestingly, it was easier for me going down; I was less fearful.
A mountain and the roos
This is the Granite Arch
Nature formed this space with the help of lichen, wind and water
Nature's artwork by Daniel
Sometimes I like to run on paths.
This is me waiting for Daniel to catch up as he does not run with me.
Daniel pulled a piece of bark from a tree and found another piece on the ground. He was carrying them when he caught up to me. As we walked over a bridge he told me to hold one side of the bark and charge it up with positive energy. Then he said, "We're going to drop it into the water. This is for Isaac." Here it is, little nephew!
The setting sun means we made perfect timing getting back to the bottom of the mountain
Hello little roo!
"We were just standing up there?!"
Our plan was to stop at an establishment called, "Heavenly Chocolate" that boasts 18 flavours of hot chocolate. Unfortunately it was closed until the weekend. We did walk around the grounds where they were quite a few of these random creepy heads.
Loving the colour contrast
Sunset photo from the car
Daniel drove us back into town where we stopped at a pub for dinner. Stanthorpe is a small place and we didn't have too many choices. Plus, we enjoy pubs and chances are you'll encounter friendly folks. Our bartender was nice and full of energy. She poured us two glasses of Guinness which I was happy to see on tap! We found a seat near the back fireplace and waited until six and could order dinner. We ate pumpkin, sweet potato and leek soup, garlic bread and a side of chips! It was filling and pretty good.
Don't worry, that's his foam so he can put his fingers in it all he wants
Guinness - Stash!
O'Mara's Pub where these ladies soon discovered my Irish roots and joked that I was their connection to getting real Guinness from Ireland imported for them.
Daniel and I had a very happy first vacation day! We felt sore, full and content. Back at the motel we took hot showers and Daniel did some work on his laptop while I watched animal rescue shows and cried. I love a happy ending!






































Great photos, and a great account of the adventure, Jojo. Keep hiking. It looks great! Then come an cool off in the waters of Bretagne, where we'll be freezing next week. Steve
ReplyDeleteOF COURSE MY HANDS WERE SWEATING!!!!! Looks like a great, fun, challenging climb!! Love, love, love the pics!
ReplyDelete