Friday, April 29, 2011

"Oh My Hat!"

 


That was an expression Pat used in the woodland this week.  I’ve never heard the phrase before and it was employed to convey something that had disturbed her.  I am using it however in an entirely different manner.  As it is known worldwide today that The Royal Wedding has just taken place.  I have not been into all the hype about it and did not think I would see it either.  Yet when I brought the eggs into the main house this morning Pat had it on the television so I went in to take a peek.  Jan, who is not at all interested in the tradition of today’s events, asked Pat, “So you’re going to have this on all day then?”  She said to him in reply, “Well, but of course, Jan!”  I went out to share a small breakfast with Daniel and let him know I wanted to see some of it.  “Some of it” turned into over four hours of experiencing the entire spectacle.  If you have a chance to catch some of the pre-wedding guest gathering, I would highly recommend it.  Especially to all the ladies out there – those hats were phenomenal.  I wanted a slew of them!  You have to see some of the fashion statements that rested softly on the heads of fancy British women. 


When the Beckhams appeared on screen Pat scoffed, “Urgh, Beckham.”  I asked, “You don’t like the Beckhams?”  She told me that she rather hated David Beckham and I decided not to ask why.  When it comes to Victoria I am most only interested in her shoes, which were not shown.  And though her hat was not my favourite, I would wear it out to dinner with Daniel given the chance.  Probably not to the pub, but definitely in the woodland! 


The truth is I actually got a bit misty eyed when the princes William and Harry appeared in their car on the short drive to Westminster Abbey.  The welling of emotions surprised me!  This country knows how to make a grand gesture.  Pat has been extremely pleased and proud of her home today.  Simon made his way into Bredsell only to say, “Oh, the wedding. . “ in a disgruntled voice before turning to leave while we called him a scrooge.  Daniel stayed for the entire wedding, albeit typing on his laptop consistently. 


The dress:  Normally I am not a fan of lace, however I am a fan of McQueen and I thought it was elegant and lovely on the new Duchess of Cambridge.  I think the waist was an inch too high, though it did give her the appearance of very long legs which may have been the point.  And furthermore, who am I currently than a peasant farm girl, to judge?  I wanted the bottom of the dress to be fuller; I like a good puffy dress on a wedding day.  Her veil and tiara were beautiful though and she has an easy elegance about her that reminds me of Diana.  She seems a solid addition to the royal family. 


When the wedding was right about to begin Pat blew the huge horn that can be heard from the house five acres away.  It was to call in Elaine who wanted to see the ceremony and was outside taking care of the puppies.  Jan came in after a few minutes and said, “Will you stop that?”  Pat couldn’t hear the horn blowing so she kept pressing the button and asked Daniel to go check on it.  She asked, “Can you hear the hooter?”  We just laughed at Jan because we were thoroughly enjoying ourselves.  Daniel really liked the commemoration and especially agreed with the music.  And Pat clapped when Will and Kate kissed for the second time out on the balcony.  There is a history about this British ritual that is captivating and I am once again thankful to be living in England.  I think I would not have gotten up at three in the morning west coast state side to see the entire service. 


Happy wedding day to all of you and again I advise, look at those hats!!

No comments:

Post a Comment