The weather has been cooperating with my sunshine needs so Daniel and I took a long walk yesterday to Tom Cobley’s Tavern. It’s a six mile round trip trek which gives us plenty of time to talk and plan for our future. All the pubs around here close in the late afternoon for a few hours before opening again in the evening. We made it in time to each have a pint, a bag of crisps, and a bag of salted peanuts. They had stopped serving their food otherwise we would most definitely have eaten cheesy chips! I ordered a Devon local cider that was quite strong so Daniel helped me drink it. He got a beer called, Blond Honey Suckle that was more mild so I took a few sips of his. The woman behind the bar kept calling us, my darling, my love, my sweet, and that made me happy. She was addressing everyone this way and it seemed completely authentic. It’s nice to be served by someone who enjoys their job. The way home from Tom Cobley’s is an easier jaunt because it is mostly downhill. We shared an in depth conversation about communication and decided to reestablish our weekly “date nights”. I am comfortable with schedules. They help me feel focused, relaxed, and like I am contributing to my life and to the world. I know perhaps that sounds odd, however, if having a set schedule provides me those feelings, I’m keeping the habit around. So even if Daniel and I are hanging out in the evening doing mundane tasks, if we’re calling it our date night, it makes it more fun and more romantic. Words can be powerful and important.
As for today, in anticipation of tomorrow, I am going to vacuum the upstairs of this house. Daniel and I have cleaned our room and our kitchen. We scrubbed that tool shed from top to bottom and when we finally finished I asked Daniel, “Does it look good?” He starred silently for a moment and then answered, “It looks better.” It might be near impossible to get an outdoor kitchen looking good.
Daniel is finally done with his paper! I am going to read it soon; sometimes I am Daniel’s editor. When I’m finished he’ll send it off to his professor and a degree in International Studies will be in order. How should we celebrate this completion that has taken almost four years? How about a trip to Scotland? Done!
No comments:
Post a Comment