Friday, May 27, 2011

More Castle, More Ocean

 


The following morning we took a trip to see Launceston Castle.  We arrived a few minutes before ten which is when it opens so we walked around the grounds enjoying the sunshine.  Being the first people in a castle is neat, and also we get to act as crazy as we want.  I’m fairly certain we act normally crazy when folks are around us; we’re quiet crazy though.  The view from the top of this castle is amazing.  And the wind was ferocious.  It practically knocked off Jeremy’s glasses and Heather held on strongly to her hat.  Daniel discovered an awesome new function with our camera which allows for panoramic pictures to be taken.  He got some nice shots, and one of me and Heather pretending we were climbing up the tower walls. 


Jeremy speeds through the castles and by the time the three of us were ready to leave we couldn’t find him.  So Daniel and I waited outside the walls while Heather went to search for him.  Silly Jeremy!  Apparently he jumped out from somewhere scaring his dear wife.  Then he came around the corner jumping at Daniel and me.  I felt Daniel start next to me and I thought it was pretty funny. 


Our next stop was Tintagel which is quite possibly one of the most beautiful places I have ever been in my entire life.  That is a very true statement.  I was awed by the colour of the sea and the cliffs of rocks and waves.  It honesty looks like a jewel.  It was breathtaking and I was very happy to be close to the ocean again.  Tintagel is a 13th century medieval castle in Cornwall.  The histories of all the castles we’ve been exploring are fascinating.  Tintagel is associated with the Arthurian legends and it is described as the place of Arthur’s conception.  It was a long and difficult walk down to the shore.  We went very slowly over the wet stones to get the full view and dip our fingers into the water.  Heather, Daniel and I explored some huge caves, one of which is called, Merlin’s Cave.  Jeremy had wandered ahead of us to take pictures of a waterfall. 


After playing and taking photos near where the Atlantic sea meets the sand we climbed the stairs that lead up to the castle.  There are over 100 steps and we were all thankful for our young strong legs.  The remains are huge and we ran around the ruin grounds before going up even more steps to see more and get an even better view.  It was a warm day and all the exercise caused each of us to remove layers and enjoy the sunshine in our tee shirts. 


Heather watches a television program called Doc Martin that is filmed in Port Isaac.  So we drove there to check out the tiny town.  We just about got our car stuck on the smallest “street” I have ever seen.  Heather and Jeremy opened their windows to pull in their side view mirrors and Jeremy slowly and stealthy squished us through and we decided that was enough!  Heather assured us she’d seen enough of Port Isaac so we made our way back to the west and stopped at a pub in Waidebridge for some pints and lunch.  Then the three of us who were not driving fell asleep.  Sorry, Jeremy! 


Daniel had a brief conference call that afternoon so back at Grange Place I showed Heather and Jeremy around the grounds and gardens we’ve been working so hard in.  Pat was in a great mood because the day before one of her Yorkshire Terriers had given birth to five new puppies.  I desperately wanted to show Heather and Jeremy, and see them for myself; however, we’re not allowed to go in there alone.  Doh!  Instead when Daniel was finished we went to Tom Cobley’s Tavern where Heather and Jeremy had booked a room for the evening.  The boys went downstairs for a pint and I stayed in Heather’s room while she freshened up.  Finally we took them to The White Hart and introduced them to our bartender friend, James and had some good dinner.  It was an early night for me and Daniel.  And it was a fantastic day for everyone.  

No comments:

Post a Comment