Thursday, April 26, 2012

A Fun Week



We’ve been borrowing our neighbour's vacuum since Sunday and I’ve vacuumed our flat three times already!  I’m so happy!  I never want to return it.  She comes back in one week and I’m sure I’ll use it three more times before I have to surrender it.  Here’s the short version of the spider story:  Daniel is good to me and agreed to help me turn our sofa upside down so I could vacuum the bottom of it.  Seven spiders got sucked up, y’all.  Seven, two dead and I did not count the bug carcasses for my own sanity.  The long version is only slightly grosser, so I’ve spared you something. 
Tuesday, while Daniel was in school I met a new friend at a café, where I did not drink coffee and she thought that was odd of me!  We have much in common as she wants to be a Life Coach and it was fun to talk with someone who gets as excited as I do about the power of language and intention.   There is a huge house on top of the very steep hill we walk each time we go into Wooloongabba that I think is beautiful.  Often I point out to Daniel the yellow VW bug that sits in the driveway and the Buddha statue that rests beside it.  Well, as it turns out, that is her big beautiful house, her Buddha, and her vehicle!  She also owns a store that I walk by each time I go into West End for either the Meditation Chanting, or the Farmer’s Market! 
Early that same evening Daniel and I found a video rental store!  You’ll recall how excited I was to find one in West End with dollar rentals on Tuesdays and I discovered that there is one slightly nearer to our home, so we went in and signed up!  Afterwards we came back to our part of town and met another friend for dinner at the Brewery.  Then we returned home and watched a movie!  It was a very good day!
Wednesday was quite lovely as well.  I had rsvp-ed to a meetup group for the Anzac day parade and then snacks at the Victory Hotel so that morning we set off and walked downtown.  On 25th April 1915, the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC) took their first major military action during the First World War.  Each year there are parades and ceremonies throughout Australia celebrating ex-service men and women and it is a hugely important National Holiday.  We clapped along with thousands of people and enjoyed the energy of excited and grateful Aussies.  The Victory was closed when we showed up so we decided to walk back through the botanical gardens and grab lunch at home. 
Later we had to return our films back to the rental store and rented another one!  Civic Video just so happens to sit almost directly across the street from the only other flat we almost rented.  We even began the process of applying for it, before we found this one.  In any case, I was so surprised to see it!  Brizzie is finally feeling manageable to me.  It’s really funny to walk around now and notice that we walked all over the city our first few days here having no idea where we were, and now it’s “old hat”.  Because it was Anzac day the grocery store was closed so we walked down the main roads to locate some Indian food.  We chose one in our neighbourhood and the woman was so pleased and pleasant with us.  She even made my favourite dish when it wasn’t on the menu!  The food was outstanding and we brought it home to watch our movie with dinner.  Project Nim is a documentary about a family raising a chimpanzee as a child, instead of an animal and we both had a bit to say when the film was over.  Also I told Daniel, “And that I why I don’t want chimps in our trees.”
This morning we took a walk to return the documentary and pick up a few things from the grocery store.  Daniel spent the day in school and I had a lovely couple hours hanging out with my friends, Heather, Jeremy and Greg on google plus.  You know your friends love you when they absolutely laugh at the fact that you’re being attacked by a dragon fly.  And by dragon fly, I mean dinosaur. 
Daniel is home now and soon we’ll make and eat dinner together.  We’re happy, and we’re healthy.

1 comment:

  1. Well, I didn't mean to laugh at your distress. But as I could see that you we're in any real peril...I just could not help but laugh at your fantastic expression and the sky shaking violently behind you as you retreated with your laptop post haste to the safety of your flat. >.<
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete