Saturday evening Sarah made us pumpkin soup and pavlova for dessert. Pavlova is a popular dessert here in Australia, though of course New Zealand claims it as its own. (According to Aussies, they claim everything.) It's similar to a meringue with a crisp outside and a soft middle. She was going to treat us to this new-to-us dessert on Australia Day, however, as you may remember we were coming into a storm then and the humidity would have killed it. Baking in Oz is not a small feat. The main ingredient seemed to be sugar so I only got through a few bites before I had to surrender to the massive morsel. Simon, on the other hand, ate his in about three bites and then finished Sarah's piece.
Homemade Pavlova with homemade whipped cream
and topped with purchased berries.
The four of us spent the evening playing cards around our coffee table and listening to music. Simon tends to win most of the card games, because he cheats. He's been teaching us a game and we tease him for making up new rules each time we play. We have a lot of laughs together.
I'm jealous you ate Pavlova! You'll have to make it for me when you're stateside!
ReplyDeleteOkay, perhaps you will help me though, because you know how I dislike measuring cups. ;)
ReplyDelete