But first, we visited the James Cook University campus. They did not have all the information we needed so we walked around a bit and left. The campus is under construction so it didn't look as pretty in person as it does on line. I did snap one photo of Daniel.
The mountains in the background are pretty stunning.
Jasmin told me last week about a place that she loves to swim with her friends called Crystal Cascades. Daniel and I decided to check it out after visiting his potential new school. We got a bit turned around a couple times while driving, however, that is the best part of living near round-abouts. It reminded me of when we were in England. Our friend, Jeremy was driving and we missed our turn so we just went around again. All of us were laughing and I attempted to recreate that feeling yesterday instead of frustration. It was a bit of a multi-task challenge, reading my direction notes, the signs on the road, and looking at the map on Daniel's phone.
When we were less than two minutes from the creek we decided to turn around! We ended up in a park walking along a concrete path that seemingly went on forever. I knew there was a large waterfall at Crystal Cascades and nothing was looking too promising. We might have encountered a crocodile, however, it moved too fast for us to see it. I was not scared because, 1. mostly likely it was not a crocodile. And 2. they do not run quickly, nor do they tend to attack on land.
My plan was to crawl on this tree, however, I walked
through a spider's web and promptly turned around!
We spent an hour walking on this trail and decided to go back to where we came from, up the creek. When we arrived, we wanted to see the waterfall. We walked up the whole path until we came to a construction site! Usually, people are allowed to swim in, around, and even under the waterfall. Not now though, as someone in Australia is doing something which prohibits the activity. Daniel tried getting a photo because it was really lovely, however a big branch covered most of the falls, so I didn't include the photo in this post. We did come across many Ulysses butterflies and they are amazing.
This is the under side of their wings.
And while this is very blurring because he is in flight,
you can see how beautiful the top of their wings are.
On our way back down we shared an apple and talked about getting in the water. I was mentally psyching myself up. Daniel, true to form, jumped right in. I took a little longer, and a little cajoling as well.
You can jump from the rock that we're sitting on.
To Daniel's left is a tiny fall that he dove into a couple times.
It pushed him under, so I didn't try for myself.
(I'm a badass in different ways)
We made it home and had a mellow evening and a nice meal. We've been really into exploring new flavours in the kitchen and have been having great success inventing new dishes.
Daniel took this photo with his phone as I was driving.
We are lucky to live near mountains and the ocean.
This morning we cleaned the office and bought our weekly fruit and veggies at Rusty's Market. Then we did the rest of our grocery shopping at Coles. We found one inside the Cairns Central mall. No matter where you are on the planet, malls are all the same, and when you don't like them, it's best to stay out of them! Or at least avoid them, if you can, on a Saturday. This is looking to be a great week. If we can stay cool, we'll definitely survive in a thriving manner.







How big is the mall? Indoor? What stores are in there?
ReplyDelete