Friday we took a long trip into town. Pat and Jan both had many errands to run, Daniel and I only needed to visit the grocery store. We didn’t know that it was going to be a four hour trip when we left. There was quite a bit of waiting around, yet the sun was shining so we made the most of our time. Crediton was bustling that early afternoon and it was fun to lean against Jan’s car to people watch. Also we talked about all the different directions Daniel could take with the paper he’s been writing. During our downtime, I noticed a Red Cross store near the car so I went to explore the used clothes and books. For some reason in this shop I really felt like a foreigner. Even the other patrons seemed to be speaking a completely different language; in fact they were speaking reasonable English. It was an odd experience that passed quickly and I went back out to soak up the sunlight with Daniel.
We had an easy mellow weekend. So many flowers are opening all around showing us the colours they’ve been hiding all winter. The cows are spending less time in their stables, which is great for us because we no longer have to haul hay or straw to them. They are simply content to eat the grass outside. It also means much less poop to shovel. The chickens are being their normally naughty little selves. Jan attempted to fix the fence again so they would stop flying out and it seems to have dissuaded them for the time being.
Yesterday Daniel and Jan spent some time in the garden while I had a Skype session. Our “Family Dinner” was postponed for reasons unknown to me. The rumour is that Simon would like to make everyone dinner. At Grange Place he is renowned for his omelettes and we’re looking forward to feasting on them soon. So we stayed in our room and Daniel made the most amazing fake chicken and rice dish. It was so delicious. I wanted it again for breakfast this morning, and alas, we had eaten it all. It’s rare that we have leftovers. We played a couple rounds of Boggle and a couple hands of Gin. We took turns winning. With board games we like to take turns winning. Balance in our marriage is important and we like to have it even in the small things. Of course, some of you may be remembering me winning when we ran up the hill a couple weeks ago. That is because we were running. Running is my thing so I get to win every time. Daniel can - and does - beat me each and every time on a bicycle.
Speaking of fake chicken, I noticed that this month it has been eight years that I have been vegetarian. And on behalf of myself I would like to let you all know the strangest question that is constantly put to me: “What do you eat?” The reason I find this question so strange is because if someone tells you that they are allergic to strawberries you wouldn’t gasp and ask them what they can eat. You might feel foolish when they answered, “Uh… everything else…” Haha! Have a happy week!
No comments:
Post a Comment