Sunday, March 13, 2011

Dissolution Behind the Wire Fence

At four this afternoon Daniel and I went to check on the chickens.  Gingerpop came with us, he loves going on little walks around the property with people.  He reminds me of Morris.  There were four eggs in the nest and to be safe we brought them with us when we left.  The cockerel who seemed fine this morning crowing and scratching around was lying by the fence very still and quietly.  We walked closer to him and he opened his eyes to watch us.  Daniel and I both stepped pretty close to him because Daniel was concerned.  He just looked very tired to me but Daniel was saying that we’ve never seen him lying down or let us come close without moving.  Gingy moved to inspect him which made me nervous, I didn’t want the cockerel to attack the cat so Daniel moved Gingerpop out of the way with his foot and we left to ask Pat what she thought about it.  She told us maybe he was sick and we told her we would wait for Jan to come home from the woodland so we could all investigate the cockerel together. 


At five thirty Jan was still not home and I asked Daniel if he would come with me to see the cockerel again.  We knew something was wrong immediately.  I should say, Daniel knew.  I was in denial.  Four of the seven hens were surrounding the big bird and he seemed to be not moving.  As we got closer I noticed the hens were actually pecking at the cockerel and that he was most obviously dead.  This was upsetting to me.  I know he was an ass, however, I didn’t really wish death upon him.  Daniel went in to let Pat know the situation and I stayed outside keeping the chickens off of him and also making sure they were okay, you know, emotionally.  I gave them a bit more food because they did seem upset and we all awaited Daniel’s return.  He came through the fence with a large plastic bag and I met him by the rooster with a shovel.  Rigor mortis sets in fast and thankfully Daniel did the dirty work because I really didn’t want to touch it.  I couldn’t believe just looking at him lying there.  We had just seen him alive, and he was so undeniably empty of life not two hours later. 


We heard Sasha, the dog, barking later and knew Jan had returned home.  We went down to meet him by his car to give him the news.  He didn’t seem surprised or sad.  I think he could tell I was slightly distressed because he looked at me and said, “This just happens, it’s okay.”  And to Daniel he said, “Well, I guess we should eat him.”  Again, I’m not absolutely sure whether or not Jan was kidding.  Daniel and I will not be eating dead bird though.  Sad things happen on the farm, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment