We took a small trip into North Totten so Jan and Pat could run a few errands. Daniel and I walked around and found a narrow alley way that we walked up and it led us to a beautiful cathedral and cemetery. The grass was so green and the sun was out, it was really a lovely sight.
That night in our room neither was us was very hungry so Daniel went downstairs to make a snack. He came back with a tub that we use sometimes in the sink to wash our dishes. I said, “What’s that?” And he answered me, “I couldn’t carry everything so I put it in here.” I told him it was perfect because we could pretend they don’t use picnic baskets in Devon, we use picnic tubs. So we had a picnic tub on our bed complete with cheese, gouda and mature white cedar, crackers, carrots, and houmous [hummus to you]. Oh, and of course we participated in some wine bibbing, otherwise it wouldn’t have been a proper English picnic tub experience.
I always forget to mention that Jan lived in Quebec for some years so he speaks Quebecois. It’s not exactly French; however I am not going to join the great debate about that. I’m telling you because he speaks French with us quite frequently and we all enjoy this fact. He swears in Quebecois at times and I’ve no idea what he’s saying, although I understand his intonation. The word he uses most often sounds to me like he’s saying the beginning part of the word, Tabernacle. He says, “Tabernac!” I’m certain this is spelled incorrectly and I’m wondering if anyone has any guesses. Francoise, qu’est-ce que vous pensez?
Two days ago Daniel and I went on a walk after lunch and before he started back at work. I didn’t wear my coat because it’s been warmer outside. The wind was blowing very hard and I told Daniel that my neck was cold and wished I had brought my scarf. After a few seconds he said, “Here”, and handed over his hat which he tucked into the collar of my sweatshirt. It was really helpful! We didn’t end up going very far because the wind was just crazy! It’s so loud blowing through the trees and our little noses started to become red and stiff.
And now for your chicken update: those girls are being strange. Twice this week I have gone to collect the eggs and found one or more of them broken. The thing is they are eating the eggs and some of the shell as well. In addition to this news, which slightly disturbs me, there are fewer eggs to collect. Usually we get near 15 eggs every other day. This morning there were only seven. Jan thinks they are laying the eggs elsewhere and Daniel and I have to hunt. So, I would like to invite anyone to come out for an “Easter Egg Hunt” at Grange Place! All their discourteous behavior began a few weeks after the cockerel arrived. And there now need to be discussions about how to rectify this unwanted decorum. Perhaps the cockerel needs to be separated from the hens; perhaps we can leave the hens out all night long instead of locking them up. Although the risk there is having a fox get one or more of them. We’ll figure it out, and by “we” I mean Jan.
This morning we went into Exeter. Our friend and housemate, Simon was in a considerable amount of pain and the small GP in Bow suggested we take him to the big hospital. He might have a hernia and need surgery. Jan, Daniel and I spent four hours in Exeter waiting to see if Simon would be coming home with us today. He is still in hospital. He will be all right. Some good news is that while we were there Daniel and I finally were able to open a bank account with the Co-Op bank. We walked around some, Daniel and Jan had some coffee, I longed to buy a pair of boots, and I tried on a shirt. I went into a few shops by myself because I don’t expect the gentlemen to want to look at clothes with me. First I explored H & M. Then I went into a shoe shop that did not have nearly high enough heels, it’s got to be at least four inches or I pretty much won’t wear it, yet as I said, I really did want some boots. However I don’t usually buy things just because I want them so I said my goodbyes and we parted ways. Later I meandered through a shop called Nancy Allen –or something similar- and “Womaniser” by Britney Spears was playing. I laughed because it reminded me of when I sang karaoke to that song in Eugene with my friend, Ryan. It felt nice to be doing something as mundane as clothes browsing, plus I get to fake my accent with strangers. It’s easy because they’re not expecting me to have an American accent anyway, and even if I sound weird, why would anyone be faking an accent?
You may have noticed two blue lines on the blog. That is because we have tried twice to upload our newest video for you. For some reason tumblr is being picky and slow. If you have a facebook account you can see it there. Daniel posted it on his page a few days ago. Otherwise we’re going to continue our aim of having it on the blog. Enjoy your weekends!
No comments:
Post a Comment